A GULU CELEBRATION

A GULU CELEBRATION

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Almost a Month in Tororo!

It's hard to believe that I've been in Tororo almost a month already. I arrived here on April 22 after our "swearing-in" ceremony--at which I was asked to give remarks on behalf of our class of volunteers. A friend of mine said, "If you live long enough all your dreams come true. Bet you never thought you'd be class validictorian..." And she's right. I thought that boat had long since left the pier, but I also thought the chances of me every being in the United States Peace Corps was a dream totally out of the realm of possibilities. But, here I am.

I had to leave my Wakiso homestay family behind on April 19 and that was difficult. It was almost like leaving members of my real family. I'm not sure why I felt so close to them, but I suppose it is partly because they supported me during a critical transition. At any rate, they were very sweet and gave me gifts to remember them by--a beautiful carving of giraffes and a bark cloth purse. I have them displayed on my bookcase in my new home. Speaking of home...

MY HOUSE: I live in a building that has 7 other units. It is located about two blocks from the market and the center of town. It has electricity sometimes, and was advertised by the PC staff as having a flush toilet. That is technically true. However, in order to flush it, I have to carry a 5-gallon bucket (yes, another bucket) out to the facilities with me. What it really is, is a porcelain "throne" bolted over a pit latrine.

When we drove up to my new home and stopped, I nearly cried I was so upset. At one end of the block is a collection of "guest houses" that are attached to bars and rent by the half-hour. They attract a crowd very much like the inhabitants of the Bowery in NYC. There is a party going on day and night. At the other end is a furniture making establishment with hammering and sawing going on from 7 am til dark. In between and across the street is "Expert Motors" which is hidden behind a 40-foot wall of concrete. The street is dirt/mud/a river--depending on the weather, and the collection of individuals passing by rivals any Greyhound bus station in the US.

I have a "sitting room," a kitchen area, and a bedroom. There are big metal doors with impressive locks both front and back. My two windows are barred. The place came furnished with a table, three chairs and a bed frame. Floors are concrete. In the US when there is an old dilapidated building in a rundown, iffy part of town like this, investors come in and install an elevator and some metal doors just like mine; throw in a stool and a shower, sub-divide the space, call it a loft, and charge $500,000 for each unit. So, I've decided that I'm living in a loft in Africa.

Funny thing is, I've built shelves, had curtains made, bought pots/pans/dishes, etc. and now I call this place home. It even feels cozy and I'm on speaking terms with many of the characters who pass by.

Some of the logistics of living here are:
  • I pay John 200 Schillings per 20-liter Jeri Can to bring me water from the tap which is about two blocks away. (About 2000 Schillings to each US dollar so 200 Sch is about 10-cents) He brings 3 cans every two or three days--depending on whether it rains or not. I use the rain water I collect in some of my infamous buckets for mopping floors, flushing the toilet, laundry, etc.

  • I have a two burner gas cook top. I also have a dorm-size refrigerator that works when I have electricity. It really works out well, because I can't regulate the temperature in the fridge, so everything sort of freezes. BUT, the power goes off often enough that things stay about the perfect temperature all the time.

  • I bathe using cold water in my private cement stall that locks and is located out back with the "flush" toilet.

  • I go to the market about everyday. Yesterday I made beans and rice for myself for the first time. I have a few things to learn about cleaning the stones out of the rice, and picking both stones and bad beans out of the beans. Another Ugandan skill I need to learn.

  • Out my back door is a walled in area that all 7 tenants here use to cook, do and hang laundry, chat, and traverse to and from the latrine/bathing room/and the alley. At night the back gate is bolted an no one can enter the compound.

  • PCVs cannot ride boda bodas so I walk most places. I'm seriously thinking about getting a bike.

OK--that's enough for now. I'll try to write more this evening about my job, the people here, mob justice, and the health care system.

Love you all, and miss you everyday--mbj

7 comments:

  1. I am so hasppy for you mary beth and enjoying your blog. How is the language coming. We think of you often, Hasse

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds exciting, aunt mbj! obviously, i fully support you getting a bike. i remember riding bikes with you in minnesota one year and you said something to the effect of, you should have your gears set just so you feel tension, or something like that. i still think of that to this day when i am riding around portland.

    please let us know if you've been receiving the text messages. i sent one but i'm not sure if you're getting it, so...

    anyway, god bless,
    joe

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dear, very-much-missed Mary Beth...it is about 9:15 PM here in Minnesota, and I have just finished work for the day and week. Your description of the refrigerator that freezes evrything when the electricity is on and how perfectly it keeps everything at the appropriate temperature with intermittent electricity ws the high point of this day. I laughed out loud and am still chuckling. The immense changes in your lifestyle continue to amaze me. What does NOT amaze me is how you are taking it all in stride, rolling with the punches and any other aprapos (is that how it's spelled? I'm not sure...well, you know what I mean, don't you? Sure you do. Gee, I love these conversations we have where I get to do both parts!)cliches!

    Everything is wonderful here, now that warm weather is occasionally the norm. Smantha celebrated her first birthday on 4-28-09. No, she did not have a party, nor did she get any gifts...although I think that might be the day I first noticed that Lola will watch for Sam to come around her cage then either (a) throw food down at her or (b) poop on her. Probably as part of the celebration, that day it was the poop deal. Good thing birds eat only non-bile-producing stuff. Let's see, what other fascinating information can I share with you to make you feel all warm and fuzzy and at home?

    My cabinetmaker is building the cabinet that will fit into the wall in my back hallway betwen the kitchen and the garage. He is going to deliver and install a week from today. I can hardly wait!!! Our townhouse association is having its annual Garage Sale the first week-end in June...an event I usually ignore. Not this year, nosiree! I have everything from two upholstered chairs and a recliner down to little piddly stuff. I hope it all goes.

    As soon as the "front" of the house gets put back together (that's where all the stuff that will go into the new cabinet is residing at the moment) I want to replace the sinks and vanities in the bathroom and dressing room. So that wil totally screw up the "back" of the house...although not for very long, God willing and the creek don't rise....

    Well, m'dear, it is time for me to go put the kids to bed and follow them myself. the Plymouth Rockers ae performing tomorrow morning at 10 AM, so I don't get to sleep in this Saturday. A guy in the chorus and I are learning a duet called "Old-Fashioned Wedding" frm "Annie, Get YourGun," and it is hilarious. With luck, it will be ready for the public in a couple of weeks.

    Samantha, Lola, Calvin and I all send our love. We think about you a lot, and talk about you, too. Well, in all honesty, I'm the one that does the talking about you. But they all listen, enraptured.

    Love,
    Marilou

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy reading your blogs, and even share them with co-workers. I eagerly await new postings, so keep them coming.

    Marilou, it's fun reading your comments too! (:

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi!

    I just accepted my Uganda invite (the August group). I was wondering if there was anything that you packed that you didn't need and anything that you wished you had brought but didn't. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! I'm not a very good packer :)

    Thanks,
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mary Beth....I had misplaced your blog and discovered it recently on what i thought was defunct email address.

    Your adventure is wonderful to hear about. It definitely sounds like you aren't in "Kansas" (MO)anymore. But what a wonderful thing you are doing. Be safe.

    After you left, I decided i needed to get away as well. Couldn't commit to 2 yrs. and certainly didn't want to go thru all the Red tape. I wanted more immediate relief! :) So took off on a road trip to visit my mom and sisters. Literally as I was walking out the door, I got 2 assignments in Orlando, so went to mom's in Cape Coral, Fl, then a week at the timeshare resort, I am appraising in Orlando, and have spent the past 1 1/2 at my sister's just outside of Hilton Head in a gated-golf course community with their biggest bitch around here being the club isn't cutting the grass right around the pond just off my sister's pool & patio. Talk about a far cry from Uganda. Will make sure everyone here knows about your life there. May puts their's in a much better perspective. I do have to say, i have enjoyed the easy-going life even though i have been working hard. At least it is in paradise. Glad you friended me on facebook. konnie

    ReplyDelete